SAP S/4HANA is described as SAP’s most modern and innovative ERP system. But what does this entail, and what sets it apart from earlier systems?
SAP S/4HANA is a broader and more comprehensive ERP system than earlier versions. It's meant to cover all the company's daily processes, such as purchasing, sales, production, maintenance, accounting, and finance.
S/4HANA introduces new functionalities that can be implemented quickly and easily:
- Built-in AI, analysis, and intelligent process automation
- In-memory-data base and simplified data modeling
- Functions and best practices for a range of sectors
- User experience at the consumer level and insight tailored to the individual is readily available
The system can be delivered as a cloud service, on-premise, or hybrid solution. SAP S/4HANA uses the Fiori user interface, which is modern, highly user friendly, and easy to use.
SAP S/4HANA is the first system made specifically for the "in-memory" SAP HANA database. In-memory means storing data in memory rather than on a disc.
The system reduces response time, which provides data in real-time and makes real-time analysis possible. SAP S/4HANA also has multiple machine learning applications, making the system more self-learning.
It's been possible to run earlier ERP systems, such as SAP ECC, on the SAP HANA platform. SAP S/4HANA, however, has been made specifically to make use of the possibilities provided by the in-memory technology.
Gathers a range of functions
In addition to ERP, the system gathers many of the products in the SAP Business Suite, such as:
- SAP CRM (Customer Relationship Management)
- SAP SRM (Supplier Relationship Management)
- SAP SCM (Supply Chain Management)
- SAP PLM (Product Lifecycle Management)
It also integrates with other SAP services, such as SAP SuccessFactors, SAP Ariba, SAP Hybris, SAP Fieldglass, and SAP Concur.
Forms of implementation
There are many ways to implement SAP S/4HANA:
- Greenfield: Clients who either come from a different system than SAP or have a legacy level in their old system that makes them want to start "from scratch" can opt for a Greenfield implementation – that is, a brand-new implementation.
- Bluefield: Clients with an existing SAP ERP system can choose a selective data migration to bring the features they want to SAP S/4HANA.
- Brownfield: The most common way of transitioning to SAP S/4HANA is by upgrading the existing system through a comprehensive migration. Pearl Group has unique and solid experience with these migration processes through Pearl S/4 Move.
Pearl specializes in safely moving clients from ECC to the new SAP S/4HANA platform.